The Greens (WA) have today released their climate policy for the 2021 WA State Election.
With a critical focus on repowering the state with renewable energy, taking advantage of the opportunities in the zero-carbon transition, regenerating the state’s diverse natural environment, and phasing-out fossil fuels, The Greens (WA) will transform Western Australia into the renewable energy powerhouse it could be.
The Greens (WA) Tackling Climate Change policy acknowledges the extent of the climate crisis and commits to legislating interim and long-term targets of 100% renewable energy by 2030 and net-zero emissions by 2035. By setting strong, long-term and interim targets, reinstating the state-wide ban on fracking, phasing out fossil fuels, and supporting new and emerging green industries, The Greens (WA) have a plan to create thousands of clean careers while tackling the climate crisis and the COVID-19 economic recovery.
Additionally, The Greens (WA) will:
- Create 10,000 jobs a year with an initial investment of $500 million for a State Renewables Investment Fund
- Invest in net zero emissions strategies across our economy, including a $60 million yearly investment in cycling and active transport infrastructure and $50 million to roll out the electric vehicle fast-charging network across WA by 2025
- Establish a $2.5 billion WA Sustainable Industry Investment Fund to drive the transition to clean manufacturing and industry
- Support community-led regeneration projects and emerging marine ‘blue carbon’ sink opportunities by investing in a $125 million per year Nature Fund
- End native forest logging, and develop a sustainable plantation forestry industry
- Develop a WA Climate Resilience and Adaptation Plan to be reviewed every 5 years
- And, curtail the influence of vested interests by banning corporate donations.
The Greens (WA) are also committed to developing comprehensive transition plans for fossil fuel workers and their communities, and working with First Nations people to lead and co-design climate solutions.
The Greens (WA) spokesperson for climate change Tim Clifford MLC said The Greens (WA) plan for a 100% renewable future will guarantee affordable energy for all West Australians; long-term, sustainable careers in clean industries; the regeneration of our natural biodiversity; and real action on climate change.
“Western Australia is perfectly placed to become a renewable energy powerhouse, to regenerate our natural environment, to revive local manufacturing and to do our fair share in combating the climate crisis,” Mr Clifford said.
“By taking advantage of WA’s plentiful renewable resources, we can deliver thousands of jobs while drawing down millions of tonnes of carbon, and supporting our communities.
“By legislating renewable energy and net-zero emission targets, we provide certainty to the community and business alike that WA has a competent plan to reduce emissions in a manner that is reflective of the current crisis.
“This is the critical decade in which to tackle climate change, yet WA is still without a clear strategy on how the state’s rising emissions will be reduced. If COVID-19 has demonstrated anything it is that real change can happen, when the political will is there.”
Visit https://greens.org.au/wa/platform/climate for Tackling Climate Change policy.